Monday, April 23, 2012

Black Attack - A formal dining room update

Ever since I began following Mr.Goodwill Hunting's blog, I have been thinking of things that I could paint black and spruce up around the house- I hope I decided in the right piece...my dining room buffet 
(a bedroom dresser in another life)


I mentioned before, I purchased this dresser for 30.00 and had decided to paint it gold.

I went with a Martha Stewart paint, it was just so-so to me and I decided to leave the dresser alone until I really was ready to paint and give it some wow!

I am really hoping I made the right choice in painting the dresser black.

I decided to paint the dresser the same shade of black as the sewing desk I did for myself. I decided to do the pulls in a brushed gold versus the shiny gold from the desk.

I now have to find a perfect pull for that center drawer, the dresser had always been missing the pull and I have purchased a clear pull for it but now, I need something else.

Overall. I am pretty pleased with the update.

Painting the dresser was a great way to spend time out of the heat and working on something fun, what did you all do over the weekend?



11 comments:

Carsedra said...

Very nice!!! You have great style!



Carsedra of:

http://www.embracingtherealme.com/

http://sweets4yourtooth.blogspot.com/

Ninah said...

I love it! I think it makes more of a statement now. I went to an amazing wedding this weekend. It was so intimate & spiritual, and really fun actually. I love me some love, LOL! Have a great day!

Shelly {Quiet Luxury} said...

I really like it black! I think that was a good decision. It adds drama to the room, esp sitting underneath the gold framed mirror. Nice!

-Shelly

Mrs. Chic said...

the dresser turned out so pretty!

Our Delightful Home said...

Nice job! The black looks great!

Mrs. Delightful
www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Shades of Summer said...

Thank you very much Carsedra- I am really trying to make my house look nice!

Shades of Summer said...

Ninah - I agree the piece is making a statement in the formal area now. I am glad I just left the piece alone until I was ready to do something with it, I literally ignored the fact that it was even in the formal area just to keep my sanity! I am glad you went to celebrate love over the weekend.

Shades of Summer said...

Shelly - thank you! That mirror was a lucky shot! I purchased it from a struggling store and the oval shape catches everyone's eye. The thick wood frame is always a conversation piece and I have not been able to find one for the bargain I got that one since. I should have bought two!

Shades of Summer said...

Thanks Mrs. Chic - I am looking forward to some new updates in there really soon to tie in the black.

Shades of Summer said...

Thank you! I think Mr. Goodwill Hunting may be on to something LOL!

Brandi said...

Beautiful job, Summer! It looks like a completely different piece of furniture!