Thursday, December 22, 2011

A Kid in the Kitchen (Jai's Walnut and Chocolate Chip Slices)

My 12 year old daughter "Jai" is a real mini me, she loves the same types of music, food and decorating I enjoy - I have been a little hesitant about baking with her because I have a fear of the kitchen looking like someone came in and just poured flour everywhere... I know, I know... she's gotta learn right??? Well - I stumbled across a cookies and bars book just for her in JoAnn's fabric several weeks back and here is her first attempt at baking with only mommie's supervision...

Ingredients:
2 Sticks Unsalted Butter (plus extra for greasing)
1 Cup Walnut Pieces
7/8 Cup Sugar
Vanilla Extract (about 1 tablespoon)
1 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 1/4 Cups Chocolate Chips


Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Coarsely chop walnuts to about the size of chocolate chips (I did this part for her)



Grease a 9 x 13 pan

Beat butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy


Add vanilla extract
Stir in flour



 Stir in walnuts and chocolate chips


Press mixture into pan 

Bake for 20 -25 minutes


 Remove from oven and allow bars to cool
Cut into slices and arrange on cake plate


I was very proud of "Jai", she stayed in the kitchen to make sure her bars came out perfect, she even helped with dishes! To celebrate her first time baking, I had her open my new cake dish set so she could be the first to use it! The bars were super easy to make and really tasty with vanilla ice cream.




3 comments:

Unknown said...

ah how sweet, the bars came our perfectly!! I'll have to try this recipe with Tabari! :) lovely cake dish!

Brandi said...

Jai's bars look delicious! Just wait, soon she'll be making dinner for you!

Simply Tasheena said...

You created a wonderful baking memory for Jai... This looks like so much fun. I may have to try this recipe with our son.

~Mrs. Delightful