Monday, January 2, 2012

Red Velvet Cupcakes (My first attempt)

Happy New Year Everyone!

First, let me thank each and every one of you for following my blog - I started a blog in hopes of sharing a bit about myself, and learning from others and I am pleased to say, I have been able to do that. 

Since the holiday season was a whirlwind for me, I was unable to blog as often as I would have liked, I did however, bake pretty much every tree days or so.


(who knew taking a picture of a cupcake was soo much work)


Directions
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
For the cake:
Ingredients
2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
2 teaspoons Dutch process cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 ounces red food coloring
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract




For the frosting:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter or margarine, softened
1 pound box confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract



In a medium bowl or on a piece of waxed paper, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk. Beat in food coloring and vinegar, then add vanilla.
Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Turn out onto a rack to cool.

For the Frosting:
In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese and butter. Beat in confectioners' sugar until fluffy. Beat in vanilla.  Use frosting to fill and ice cake.

3 comments:

Carli-Made by Carli said...

That looks delicious! I'll have to try your recipe! Happy New Year!

Simply Tasheena said...

This looks yummy! You did a fab job :).

~Mrs. Delightful
ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Yumm!! I will try this recipe :)